A Rummy variant
Kalooki 40 (or Kaluki or Kalookie) also known as Forty Flush, is the variant of Rummy best known and
most played, rich of so many different variations from one region to another.
Is characterized by the possibility to "Open" which is to put onto the table some melds even if
not all the cards in hand are combined.
The Rules in short
Kalooki is played with two decks of French playing cards with the Jokers (108 cards), distributing
thirteen cards to each player one by one.
Remaining cards, face down, make the Stock.
The top card is turned face up, and placed to the side of the Stock to begin the Discard Pile.
Kalooki's purpose is to order own cards to form combinations with enough points to open and lay
these melds onto the table, then to get rid of all the remaining cards in order to close the round by
discarding the last one, to compel the opponent to pay the value of the cards still in his possession.
These combinations, that must be composed at least of three cards, are of two type:
- Sequence: Three or more cards of the same suit placed in sequence,
- Three or Four of a kind: Three or four cards of the same value but of different suit.
- Opening: The value of the opening melds must be at least equal to 40 (the name of the game
comes from this number) or 51 in Kalooki 51.
- The player can't take a card from the Discard Pile before opening.
- The Jokers can take the place of any card in games melded.
- After opening they can add cards to their own or their opponent's melds.
- A Joker from their own or their opponent's melds can be replaced with its substituted card and reused.
Course of game:
- Each player can take a card from the Stock or, only if they have opened or are to open in this turn,
the opponent's discard from the Discard Pile, put down new melds, add cards to their own or their
opponent's melds, finally discards a card.
- Every round ends when a player melds all his cards and discards the last card.
Play Kalooki against the computer
In setting up this game, I have followed the principles of the game
according to the instructions of a specialised book on the matter:
In order to realize this game I have used the images of the cards of the Company
Teodomiro Dal Negro S.p.A.
that has authorized their reproduction.
As a result of the numerous demands to adapt Kalooki 40 to the various ways to play, based on habits
and local customs, with this new version have been introduced many parameters that allow you to play
according to most popular variants.
In particular has been introduced the possibility (setting up to 51 the “Minimum Score to open”) to play
to Kalooki 51 (or FiftyOne), an interesting and involving variant of Kalooki 40 very diffused in the world.
With this version of Kalooki you will be able to establish: (Kalooki 51 has others five settings)
- to play with one or two decks of cards, with or without the Jolly (and how many),
- the minimum score to open (from 30 to 60 and 51),
- if the card discarded by the opponent can be taken to open or only after opening,
- if the card discarded by the opponent and taken in order to open, enter/non enter in
the computation of the minimum score to open,
- if the card taken from the Discard Pile must be played at once,
- if the Joker taken from the put down melds must be played at once,
- if to discard or not the card that links with the melds on the playing table,
- if who loses without opening, has 100 points of penalty or those real,
- if who loses with "Round's Closing" of the opponent, has doubled penalties or not,
- if to attribute a Bonus to the player that closes the round,
- the value of the Joker to pay,
- the score to get to in the game,
- the disposition of the cards, in your hand and in your opening: increasing or decreasing,
- to play with or without effects (music, sounds, noises and other computer special effects).
You will also be able to choose the speed of the game and of the cards played by the computer
and, finally, you can choose the colour of the playing table and the style of the cards.
The computer will take care of saving interrupted games (even mid-play!) and to memorize
who all the players were, their scores and classification.
At this point, the game is in your hands and I can assure you the computer does not cheat!
though it does play rather well...
Download Kalooki now and try the demo version which will allow you to try it out.
If you enjoy it, you can purchase it directly by the game.
Please, read carefully the page "Purchase information and prices".